We hope the following short compendium of links will prove helpful, particularly the Massachusetts-specific sites. A much more comprehensive list of links can be found on the national FCA website http://www.funerals.org/
Note: The Green Burial Committee of the Funeral Consumers Alliance of Western Massachusetts (FCAWM) now has its own website at http://www.greenburialma.org/
We are an affiliate of Funeral Consumers Alliance, Inc.
This national FCA site provides access to a vast amount of information, directly or via extensive links, to virtually anything related to end of life issues!
On this national FCA site, you can also join the FCA discussion group where the very latest issues and developments are reported and discussed by FCA members including affiliate and national leaders.
- The first link below is to an excellent series of articles that present the basics that a consumer most needs to know to begin planning final arrangements. It includes an introduction to the so called Funeral Rule. The page also includes links to a choice of two downloadable publications (a complete Consumers Guide to Funeral Planning and a shorter version).
- The link below is to the FTC Funeral Rule Video that emphasizes to funeral directors just some of the things they must do when dealing with consumers.
- The following links to more detailed information telling funeral directors what they must do when dealing with consumers.
- The link below takes you to a page where you can file a complaint with the FTC if you feel that a funeral director has not complied with the funeral rule.
A very brief primer on what the Massachusetts consumer should consider before talking with a funeral director. It includes a brief section on Pre-Paid ("Pre-Need") Funeral Arrangements.
- from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health
This is a must for anyone in Massachusetts who is considering caring for their own dead. It is also an excellent source of basic information about what must be done in Massachusetts from the time a death occurs through the final disposition of a body or ashes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TO READ THE SPECIFIC LAWS THAT APPLY IN MASSACHUSETTS
Note: a far more extensive set of links is found on the national Funeral Consumers Alliance (FCA) website http://www.funerals.org/
NEW ADDITION 1/13/11- recommended by someone who found it very helpful in their own time of need. It contains many links to a variety of useful resources.
Includes many useful links including a list specific to Western Massachusetts
One particularly useful feature is their "after death occurs" checklist.
Good Article on "Planning a Funeral"
Excellent general discussion and references (details, including list of funeral homes, are specific to the Greater Boston area for which this article was written). It is in pdf file format. Note: click here if you need to download free Adobe Reader to open pdf files.
Another Good Overview Article (recommended to us by a mortuary science student who found it useful) http://www.usa-people-search.com/content-a-consumers-guide-to-funerals.aspx