In Massachusetts it is legal for persons to care for their own dead. There is no requirement to hire a funeral director or funeral home.
To learn more about home funerals and caring for the deceased at home, consult these resources:
- Caring For Your Own Dead: FCAEM Guidelines for Burial or Cremation Without a Funeral Director
- Issues to Consider in Preparing for Disposition of Decedents (Mass.gov)
by Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Office of Health & Human Services.
- National Home Funeral Alliance (NHFA) supporting home funeral education
- NHFA's resource list: HOME FUNERALS: Read, Watch & Listen!
- Home Funeral Directory - to find a workshop, speakers, a celebrant, guide, or home-funeral-friendly funeral director.
Several FCAWM board members, past and present, have attended workshops about how to care for the dead at home. In fall 2013 they recommended and helped host two such workshops in western Massachusetts locations (Leverett and Warwick). Public response was positive, filling both workshops to capacity. It is likely that future workshops will be offered. If interested in attending, please let us know.