Tasks to be done, usually by the next-of-kin or executor for the deceased:
- Notify all life insurance companies affected, Social Security Office and Veterans' Administration if eligible for benefits. (The funeral director may assist in this.)
- Check for other death benefits, as from group insurance policies, credit union accounts, labor unions, pensions, etc.
- Notify credit card companies, clubs and stores where deceased had charge accounts. Also notify banks, credit unions or stockbrokers where deceased had accounts.
- Check for all installment payments coming due on merchandise, loans, or mortgages.
- Notify Post Office of forwarding address to relative or executor.
- Notify lodges, fraternities and other organizations of which the deceased was a member. Notify schools and church that she or he attended.
- Notify the three credit reporting bureaus (Experian, Transunion, Equifax) about the death, to help prevent identity theft.